Caprese snack bites are a festive, no bake snack option. These healthy snacks make a great Valentine alternative. These are kid approved and fun to eat.
Caprese Snack Bites
Hello easy and delicious! Caprese is sometimes a staple at our home; we love it! And, it can be served many ways. This is just a fresh twist on an oldie, but a goodie and a great way to serve up a festive, but healthier snack.
Heart shaped Caprese just makes a simple combination of mozzarella and tomato a little more fun. The skewers that hold it all together like cupids arrow making these snacks easy to grab and dip!
- 16 oz. Mozzarella cheese, brick
- 1 pint Grape tomatoes
- Small wooden skewers
- Slice the mozzarella cheese in slices approximately a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a small heart shaped cookie cutter or large heart fondant cutter, cut out mozzarella hearts. Dependent on the size of your heart, you should be able to yield four hearts out of each slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Cut a small whole in the center of the heart by using a small round fondant cutter or a knife.
- Insert the grape tomato into the center.
- Skew the cheese and heart together with the small wooden skewer.
- Serve as is or with a little dip.
Dip options: Mix one tablespoon of pre-made pesto with 1/4 cup of light or virgin olive oil, serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze or your favorite Italian dressing.
The Heart: Use a small heart shaped cookie cutter or large fondant cutter, approximately 2 – 3 inches to create these mozzarella Valentine snack bites. These items can be found at your local craft store.
The Grape Tomato Center: The easiest way to create the whole in the cheese for the grape tomato is to use a circular fondant cutter. This item can be found at your local craft store.
Small skewers: Skewers can typically be located in your local supermarket in the baking utensil aisle.
Kids in the Kitchen: Every recipe, even the simple ones, are filled with kitchen lessons for kids. Here are a few to focus on when making these kid friendly snacks.
- Knife safety
- Vegetable prep
- Skewing and skewer safety
- List making
- Grocery shopping
- Following directions
The Excess Mozzarella: If you are wondering what to do with the leftover mozzarella from cutting out your heart shaped pieces, simply save the scraps and use them in the center of heart shaped pizza pockets. It’s another easy, but festive Valentine’s Day serve. The recipe link is located below the picture.