Here it comes – Halloween. The kids are excited about their costumes and even more, the candy! It’s funny how the kids just LOVEtheir candy carrying contraptions no matter what the device. Plastic bag or fancy plastic pumpkin face, it’s the function that enamors them; to carry the prized possession of pounds of candy that they normally aren’t allowed to eat.
Many years ago, it was so exciting to my kids that we actually would let them keep their cute little pumpkin faced candy buckets on their dressers the eve of Halloween. They were great and wouldn’t eat any candy, so we allowed this little ritual of fun UNTIL…one morning I went into my second son’s room, who was 4 or 5 at the time, and found an entire plastic pumpkin face filled with empty wrappers! My jaw is still dropping to the ground…true story! As you can guess, those evil little plastic pumpkin faces no longer sit in any children’s rooms. Now, it’s all about the creativity of getting rid of as much candy as I can before their teeth decay. It’s funny, we’ve never really finished all of the candy before or since that date and you have to wonder what was going through his mind at that given moment; ‘if I eat it all my parents won’t eat any?’ ‘If I eat it all it won’t disappear’ – we never did get a straight answer on that one.
I have talked with many parents on their opinions of candy, I know some who just let their kids have a free for all for several days, while others confiscate it all and have their kids trade it in for a toy or some other gift. I happen to sit on ‘everything in moderation’. I allow a few pieces here and there for a period of time, we bake up all of the chocolate and share a dessert with friends called JUNK COOKIES and then I hide the rest, which reminds me….I still have hidden bags to dispose of……..
Here’s my Junk Cookie Recipe – a great way to use up some of the excess candy and continue the fun with your kids in the kitchen;
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 – 4 cups chocolate candies, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the butter, sugar, eggs and extract together. Add in all of the dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly. If your butter is not soft enough the mixture could become crumbly in which case, add a third egg and proceed.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate. Pour the batter and spread evenly into an un-greased 13 x 9 pan (preferably glass). Bake for approximately 25 minutes (until golden brown and the middle is baked thoroughly). Let cool, cut and serve with friends.
- Note: In the junk cookie picture cookies we recently made we used Three Musketeer bars, Snickers, Peanut Butter Cups and M&Ms.
P.S.S. A reader and blogger ( http://www.theangelforever.com) sent me a wonderful suggestion that I want to share for Junk Cookies – you can also look into ways to send them to the troops or to share with places like Ronald McDonald House if you have to many – such great ideas. I love when people send me their ideas…keep sending…together we always make things better!