Last Updated on
This homemade black bean burger recipe is easy and delicious with supplies you can pull from your pantry. It’s inexpensive, making it a great money saving meal.
Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe
This Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe is an easy pantry meal. It’s a perfect serve when your looking for money saving meals. And, it’s delicious.
In fact, this homemade black bean burger recipe is a staple at my house and enjoyed by the whole fam. If there’s leftovers, they are eaten for lunch the next day!
My formula for meal planning includes three basic strategies:
1. Streamline whenever possible, which means I look for strategies to make any recipe a little easier and quicker.
2. Make ahead meals are a must! They keep my busy nights easy. I prep them on weekends and often have them in the freezer.
3. Emergency meal supplies in the pantry are a necessity. Even the best laid plans can get overturned.
This Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe is one of my emergency fallback meals that my entire family LOVES. It actually fits all three of my strategies. I’ve included my notes below on how to streamline time and make them ahead.
Here is a printable version of my homemade black bean burger recipe for your convenience;
- 2 - 14.5 oz cans of black beans, drained
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
Mash the drained beans in a bowl with a spoon or avocado tool. Add the onions, bread crumbs, egg, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black & cayenne peppers to the black beans. In a cutting fashion, mix all of the ingredients together.
Form the mixture into burger styled patties.
Cook the patties in a skillet styled pan coated with non-stick cooking spray, covered, over medium to low heat. Cook until each side is toasted brown.
Top the Homemade Black Bean Burgers with cheese.
More on making this Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe;
- STREAMLINING TIP: Chopping the onions is really one of the longest steps in making the homemade black bean burger recipe. How do I save time? I actually use a mini chopper to make this process quick and easy. See my favorite gadget below.
- NOTE: When you form the black bean burgers it’s messy business. Just wash before and after this process.
- FREEZING AHEAD: Double the recipe, form the patties and wrap the uncooked patties individually in parchment paper and freeze them in an airtight bag or container for future meals.
- HOW MANY BURGERS DOES THIS RECIPE MAKE? The recipe above makes 5 burgers.
Topping it off!
It’s not just about the burger! It’s about the entire combination of flavor.
Our favorite pick = pepper jack cheese and guacamole, but we equally enjoy these options;
- Ketchup (try True Made Foods Sugar Free Ketchup, it has a different flavor to it and is delish)
- Avocado slices
- Taco sauce
- Your favorite Cheese (shredded stretches further vs slices)
Hey want my guacamole recipe? Here it is…
Guacamole by Jodie Fitz
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 small clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Grape tomatoes (optional)
Remove the skin & pit of the avocados. If you are adding grape tomatoes to the mix, cut them into quarters. We use both the red & the golden, especially in this recipe.
Add the cilantro, sweet onion, lime juice, garlic, pepper, onion powder & sea salt. Using an avocado tool, or fork, mash all of the ingredients together to make your guacamole. Here is a link to my guacamole recipe and my homemade chips: RECIPE LINK
What’s my favorite guac tool? The Zyliss avocado tools = LOVE THEM!
Want to know more about black beans? They are packed with protein and whole lot of other goodness. CLICK HERE to learn more.