Quinoa Taco Salad is a great meatless meal to share. It’s tasty, delicious and filling. It can be made ahead to make weeknight dinners easy.
Quinoa Taco Salad Meatless Meals
Quinoa Taco Salad is absolutely delicious! I do not file this recipe in may ‘quick and easy’ file, but I do keep it in my ‘make ahead meal’ file. It’s worth the time it takes to make and is a great recipe to store in the refrigerator to be used during the week.
I have a big crew at my house so this recipe makes a lot! Not only do I have a large crew I’m feeding, they love leftovers for lunches vs. sandwiches so anything leftover will not go to waste here. Instead, there’s often a stampede just before lunch to claim which leftovers are yours! I guess this is a good thing, but sometimes I loose the fight for the right to the leftovers – haha.
Quinoa Taco Salad is perfect for Meatless Mondays; or anytime you’re looking for a meatless meal. I have one vegetarian in the house so this is a winner dinner, because it’s filling. This is an important factor for those who are not vegetarians in the house!
Here is the printable version of the recipe for your convenience;
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the rinsed quinoa and toast it for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable broth and two tablespoons of butter to the quinoa, bring the mixture to a boil over medium to high heat. Then reduce the heat to low, cover it with a secure lid, and cook the quinoa as directed on the package, or until liquid is completely absorbed. When it’s done cooking, remove the lid, fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and let it set for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small bowl, stir together the salsa, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and white pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the cooked quinoa together with the salsa and spices.
- Then spread the quinoa on to a lightly greased, using the nonstick cooking spray, and parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring/tossing once at the halfway point to ensure even baking. The quinoa is done when it’s fragrant and golden brown. Be careful not to burn!
- Add the quinoa to your favorite salad mixture.
More on this Quinoa Taco Salad Recipe;
The Salad: You can serve it on your favorite salad mix, but here is my favorite ingredient combo…
- spring mix
- fresh tomatoes (I love the constellation grape tomatoes sliced_
- sliced olives
- diced cucumbers
- sliced avocados
- diced sharp cheese
- corn (I love it shaved right off the cob -it’s a great way to use up leftover corn on the cob)
- black beans, drained and rinsed
- and more…
Top it Off: You can always use your family favorite. Consider checking out some of delicious fresh dressings that include cucumber, avocados and cilantro. You can find many fresh options in the produce aisle of your supermarket.
Leftovers: You can keep the leftover taco quinoa in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Reheating leftovers: The left overs can be reheated in the microwave, but the oven, a toaster oven or skillet are tastier options.
Kids Lessons in the Kitchen: There are lessons with every recipe, quick and easy or complicated, here are a few to focus on when making this recipe;
- Measuring ingredients
- Stove top safety
- Oven safety
- Knife safety
- Cutting skills
- Salad/vegetable prep
- Following directions
If you are looking for a meat filled, but healthy taco meat option, check out my Veggie packed Turkey Tacos. They are kid tested and approved!