Quick Meals are at the top of my list now that school is back in full force and Tortellini Toss is one that made the dinner table this week. Here’s how we made it on the quick & easy side of the counter;
This recipe can be made in 15 minutes on a busy night, IF you prep ahead of time & I’m including all of those details…
Tortellini Toss by Jodie Fitz
1 pound tri-colored tortellini
1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 1/2 – 2 cups finely chopped spinach
1 red bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup light olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon basil*
1/2 teaspoon coarse pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. I have learned to cook a bulk of our meals ahead of time; either on a Sunday or the night before.
2. The sausage can be cooked in advance. If you pop the turkey sausage into a glass baking dish coated with light olive oil or non-stick cooking spray in a 375 degree pre-heated oven oven for 35 – 40 minutes, you can prep the vegetables.
3. Rinse, remove the seeds of the peppers and chop each one into small pieces. Saute the peppers and chopped onions in the 1/2 cup of light olive until they are cooked with a slight crispness to them. Stir in the spices and spinach and let it cool.
4. Once the sausage is fully cooked, cut them into small pieces.
5. Stir the sausage and vegetable mixture together and either freeze or refrigerate in a proper container.
6. The night you are ready to serve Tortellini Toss for dinner, simply cook the tortellini as directed. Warm through the vegetables, toss it together & serve for one quick & easy dinner that will keep you out of the fast food lines and at the dinner table!
SPINACH NOTE: I use the baby fresh spinach leaves and chop them in my mini chopper, but a food processor does the trick.
SAUSAGE NOTE: Grilling the sausage adds a GREAT flavor to this mixture; take advantage before the grills go into hibernation!
OLIVE OIL NOTE: If needed for moisture, simply add 1 additional tablespoon at a time during the toss, but the vegetables should release enough juices during the heating process.
Disclosure: I am pleased to be working with MVP Health Care and the MVP Generation Go Program, which has sponsored this post. My participation is voluntary and my opinion is always my own, as is any advice offered.[googleplusauthor]
I like to cook bulk meals and freeze too. The Tortellini Toss looks fab!
I’m always happier when I plan ahead on busy weeks…
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week ~ Jodie
I haven’t had tortellini in ages! What a good idea to prepare vegies and sausage earlier and have in the freezer. I bought peppers in bulk this week, a handy idea for me to use. Thanks for linking up 🙂
HI there – THANKS!!! Anything to save time 🙂 …have a great a day!
This sounds so good & I love how easy it is to throw together on those busy nights! Pinning to give this a try!!
Thanks so much for sharing this at Mom’s Test Meal Mondays!
Thanks for pinning! Have an awesome day 🙂 ~ Jodie
Well, that looks fantastic. I love tortellini – my mom makes an awesome tortellini soup with chicken broth and beans.
Thank you! LOVE soups; especially this time of year… 🙂 Thanks for visiting. ~ Jodie
This looks delish and easy! The only change I would make would be using vegetarian sausage!
I’ve never tried vegetarian sausage, will have to give it a try! ~ JODIE
Quick meas are at the top of my list too. One of the reason I like the dish is that you used turkey sausage. Sounds like a quick and easy dish to pull together and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!
Never can go wrong with quick meals…with a house full or without 🙂 ~ Have a great day & thanks for stopping by! ~ Jodie
Really great recipe. Thanks for sharing at The Gathering Spot this week. I pinned and tweeted this delicious recipe! I’ll be making it soon.
THANK YOU for pinning & tweeting! I hope you have an awesome day! 🙂 ~ jodie
Sounds delicious! Quick and easy is always good! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!
This recipe looks wonderful! Thanks for linking up at Take it on Tuesday!
Looks absolutely delicous! I love tortellinis! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Gettin’ Krafty last week! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got this week!
Pinned this – I love that this can be done in 15 minutes – and it’s way better for you than hitting the drive thru 🙂 Just wanted to thank you for linking up last week and let you know the party is live now! I can’t wait to see what you share this week at All my Bloggy Friends!
Pingback: Blinkie App – Fifteen Meals That Take Less Than 30 Minutes to Prepare