Taco zucchini boats are veggie packed, deliciously easy and healthy. This dinner recipe brings a tasty bite to taco Tuesdays or any dinner plan. These stuffed zucchinis are kid-tested and family approved!
Taco Zucchini Boats
We all search for delicious dinners to make, enjoy and share with our families. These taco zucchini boats are veggie packed, healthy, easy and filled with lots of veggies that you can’t even taste in the mix! When my kids were young I used to call this mix my ‘magic taco meat’ because it was the only way I could get my boys to eat spinach and tomatoes; yes that’s right…spinach and tomatoes are in the mix, but undetectable.
If you happen to be considering this recipe during ‘zucchini season’ it’s a great way to use up all of those extra zucchinis. However, this recipe is deliciously easy all year long.
- 1 large zucchini
- Canola oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound frozen sweet corn (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the ends of the zucchini off. Then Cut the long zucchini in half and then cut each half in halves length wise to create four zucchini boats.
- Scoop out the centers of each zucchini to create a boat in each one.
- Baste the top of the zucchinis with a light canola oil and lightly salt the top. Place them on a baking sheet and put them into the oven. Let them bake while preparing the meat.
- Cook the ground turkey in a frying pan; draining off any excess juices. Add the onions and a clove of fresh garlic to the meat and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- Finely chop the spinach in food processor.
- Puree the tomatoes in food processor.
- Add the spinach, pureed tomatoes and spices to the meat mixture.
- Stir and cook until the spices and other ingredients are evenly distributed and the mixture is hot. (Add in the corn if desired)
- Fill each boat with the hot meat and top it with the shredded cheese.
- Place the zucchini boats back into the oven and let the cheese melt.
- Serve hot!
More on this Dinner Idea
Top it Off: Top off your Taco Zucchini Boats with all of your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, fresh avocado slices, salsa, taco sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, sliced olives and/or fresh cilantro!
The Zucchini: When cutting the zucchini (above directions) that is based on one large zucchini during zucchini season. Sometimes you may have to use two small/medium zucchinis to create 4 boats vs one large one; it’s a judgement call.
Freeze the Boat: Did you say freeze the boat? Yes I did! Cut your zucchinis, scoop out the centers as directed above, put the halves in a freezer bag and freeze them for a short period of time (a month or two). Remove them from the freezer and follow the directions above.
Side Dishes: These stuffed zucchinis are filling, but if you are looking for side dishes these yummy bites go great with a little seasoned brown rice, side salad(s), quinoa and my healthier version of Mexican Street Corn. Cooking corn in the oven is my FAVORITE way to cook corn, because it makes husking simple, there’s no pans required and while the corn is cooking I am able to prep the rest of dinner. Simply follow the link below the picture to discover this family favorite side dish.